Option to change default position of landing gear

SquadronLeader

Option to change default position of landing gear

Post by SquadronLeader »

With the PMDG 737, FSiPanel allows the user to select the flaps final landing configuration, and autobrake position. Any chance that we could also have the option to have the landing gear in the up position?
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Re: Option to change default position of landing gear

Post by jpgarraio »

Hi,

I do not see any positive reason for that?

If you have flaps 0 to 10, you can have gear UP, FSiPanel uses Flaps0 for Clean configuration and Flaps 5 for Vectors, in both of these scenario, the gear should be retracted.

Flaps 15 to 40, gear has to be down to avoid a gear warning horn.

What kind of scenario do you imagine with this option?

Cheers,

J-P
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer
SquadronLeader

Post by SquadronLeader »

JP

Yesterday, I set up an approach in the PMDG 737. The airport was RJAA and I selected RW 34L. When selecting a Fix, I chose select STAR. The STAR I chose was SUPOKT and the waypoint was SOFIA.

This fix places me with well over 60 miles to run to the runway. FSiPanel validates the selection, and I then select move a/c and allow FsiPanel to set the aircraft up for the approach. When done, flaps are at zero and the gear is down. I have repeated this a few times and it is the same in each case.
So, am I doing something wrong? - or is FsiPanel not performing as it should be?

Another example, the selected airport is EGPH, RW24 and the selected fix is the standard LH vectors (still with the PMDG 737). After FsiPanel has set up the aircraft, flaps are at 5. In your reply to me, you indicate that in this scenario the gear should be retracted - but is not - it is down. It is for this reason that I raised the issue, as EGPH is an airport I frequently use in FSiPanel. So, if I have interpreted your reply correctly, FSiPanel is not performing the way it should be?

Look forward to hearing from you.
pike002

Post by pike002 »

J-P,

I see the same effect.
Pieter Kemper
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Post by jpgarraio »

Thanks guys, Let me try this here.
Might be again an effect of the last PMDG update, I come back to you.

Cheers,

J-P
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Post by jpgarraio »

Many thanks for the finding, this was a bug!
Please check now with latest version.

Cheers,

J-P
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer
pike002

Post by pike002 »

J-P,

I can confirm it works.
Gear moves 'up' first, then 'off'.
Thanks!
Pieter Kemper
SquadronLeader

Post by SquadronLeader »

J-P

The landing gear now works as you suggested it should do in the given scenario. Many thanks for your prompt attention.

As I was testing it on the EGPH, RW 24 and left hand vectors, I noticed another issue.

There is in my view too much fuel being loaded for such a short approach. At the point of me holding the brake to take control of the plane, the fuel for Left Wing Tank - Centre Wing Tank - Right Wing Tank was as follows 8.32 - 5.31 - 8.32 Total 21.9

the fuel pumps on the overhead panel are not set to 'switched on' for the Central Wing Tanks

so, I left it like that to see how it performed. I appreciate the amount of fuel used in this short approach will depend on my configuration, speed and weather factors etc - that aside, when I landed and came to a full stop on the runway - I had more fuel in my central tank than that with which I started. The readings were 7.98 - 5.69 - 7.98 Total 21.7

So, the issues in summary as I see them are:

1) Too much fuel loaded - not sure how you manage this as each approach is different as it may be a fix only 3 miles from the runway or a STAR with over 60 miles to run

2) If there is fuel in the central tanks, my understanding is the the central fuel tank switches on the overhead panel should be in the 'on' position as fuel is drawn from the central tanks first in normal conditions. If the fuel load can be adjusted there is probably no need for any fuel in the central tank, and hence no need for the overhead switches to be 'on'

3) I have no understanding as to why there would be more fuel in the central tank after landing - unless it transfer by gravity? - guess this could be a PMDG issue and not a FSiPanel issue.

Look forward to hearing from you.
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Post by jpgarraio »

Hi,

Yes correct, Center tank fuel pumps must be ON if fuel in the center is more than 453 Kgs.
For the fuel on board, it is the pilot responsability to load the aircraft using PMDG FMC and then use FSiPanel.

If the weight is above MLW, FSiPanel will give the option to adjust ZFW and FUEL.

I'm working now on this fuel issue, Fuel will now be saved with the snapshot, therefore no more issue when loading a snapshot.

Update should come by tomorrow evening.

Cheers,

J-P
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer