London Tour - my experience in the Fenix A320

SquadronLeader

London Tour - my experience in the Fenix A320

Post by SquadronLeader »

This is only the second training scenario that I have tried - the first being a rainy day in Manchester.

I really love them. The London Tour took me three attempts before I successfully completed the scenario - but I learnt so much in getting there.

My first attempt, as I descended through the clouds on final, suddenly gave me a 'traffic' alert and a few seconds later I could see another aircraft immediately in front of me, which caused me to have an earlier than planned go around.

Second attempt had me trying to figure out how to prepare and use the secondary flight plan, and in so doing, I missed my descent path and overshot the runway.

The third attempt, combined with the learnings from the first two attempts, was still interesting and challenging, and some procedures happened, which I am not sure whether they were a part of the scenario, or my flying ! Nonetheless, got down to 500ft at EGLL, spotted the Jumbo on the runway, went into go around, and headed as directed to EGKK, were I made a successful landing, brought the A320 to a halt on the runway, dealt with the engine fire, and had a chat with the team of the four fire engines that had surrounded the A320.

Keep them coming J-P
woodstock327

Re: London Tour - my experience in the Fenix A320

Post by woodstock327 »

Same here (with PMDG 737) - love these scenarios. I tried the London Tour yesterday, and really enjoyed it.

One odd thing though - the 747 is supposed to appear on the first landing attempt at EGLL, right? For me there was no 747 at EGLL, but instead later at EGKK (?!!). Had no choice but to blast 'through' it when touching down... The fire engines appeared as expected, and at this time the 747 was gone.

J-P is this a scenario issue specific to the 737, or something on my side that's causing this ?
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Post by jpgarraio »

Cool, happy to hear that you enjoyed the scenario!
Not sure why the 747 was in Gatwick and not in Heathrow, did you follow all ATC instructions?

Cheers,

J-P
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer
woodstock327

Post by woodstock327 »

jpgarraio wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:50 am Not sure why the 747 was in Gatwick and not in Heathrow, did you follow all ATC instructions?
Yeah, followed all instructions down to a t...I repeated the scenario once more and the same thing happened. No big deal, just wanted to mention it in case it is an issue with the PMDG scenario.
SquadronLeader

Post by SquadronLeader »

I can confirm that I have had exactly the same experience as woodstock327. I delayed my 'go around' at EGLL to fly low and slow over the runway - just to check if the 747 appeared - and it did not. Diverted to EGKK, and the 747 was on the runway - I managed a long landing beyond the 747 - and had another chat with the fire teams.
jpgarraio
Site Admin

Post by jpgarraio »

Cool, on the 737 as well or was it the Fenix?
Jean-Pierre Garraio
Developer
SquadronLeader

Post by SquadronLeader »

J-P

I should have been more specific!

The London Tour in the Fenix A320 was fine, and the 747 appeared on the runway at EGLL

When I then tried the London Tour in the PMDG 737-800, there was no 747 on the runway at EGLL - but there was a 747 on the runway at EGKK, when I diverted there, following ATC instructions.