Anyone used ATC with FSiPanel 2017?

Any discussion related to FSiPanel 2017
LecLightning56

Anyone used ATC with FSiPanel 2017?

Post by LecLightning56 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:59 am

Has anyone used an ATC program with FSiPanel 2017 and if so which program did you use and how successful was it?

Whereas the use of ATC may be unnecessary for ILS approaches from a few nautical miles out, it might be interesting to consider on some of the lengthier approaches, e.g. RNAV and STAR.

The main stumbling block may be that it might not be so straightforward to jump into a situation with an ATC program (even the default, perhaps?), on account of the necessity for it to operate on a start-to-finish basis. If anyone has managed to circumvent this requirement, then please explain how this can be done.

LecLightning56

Re: Anyone used ATC with FSiPanel 2017?

Post by LecLightning56 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 pm

I have now had some success with using ATC with FSiPanel 2017. The Radar Contact ATC program is now available as freeware and can be used with some success. If say, for example, you wish to fly a STAR arrival, then the procedure to follow is as follows:

1. Generate a flight plan (.pln) file in e.g. freeware such as littlenavmap for the proposed arrival. The key here is to use the default airport as the departure airport in the flightplan when you start Prepar3D v4, e.g. Eglin AFB KVSP, and the destination airport is as chosen for FSiPanel. Remember to include the STAR in the flightplan when creating it in e.g. littlenavmap.

2. Load the flightplan into Radar Contact and start Radar Contact at the default airport with the default aircraft, e.g. the F-22 at KVSP.

3. Run Radar Contact as far as having been given clearance to take off at the default airport, then move the chosen aircraft in FSiPanel to the start of the arrival procedure from within FSiPanel itself.

4. Create the flightplan to be followed in the FMC/MCDU based on the STAR arrival selected in FSiPanel.

5. When the chosen aircraft is loaded into the sim, ATC in Radar Contact will request a squawk code to be set to commence the procedure. This is necessary to identify the aircraft in the ATC program.

6. Follow the arrival as directed by ATC, changing altitude speed and heading as requested. There may be a way of forcing the ATC program to follow the STAR exactly, but at the moment it seems to direct the aircraft slightly adrift from the loaded flightplan in the aircraft FMC/MCDU. What appears to happen is that Radar Contact is fooled into thinking that the aircraft has departed from the default airport and is now close to its destination. Hence any vectoring given is appropriate to the location of the aircraft and the declared landing runway from the flightplan.

7. Eventually having intercepted the localizer and captured the glideslope, clearance to land is given. Happy landings!

This is not too difficult to adhere to but it does add a new dimension to the use of FSiPanel, particularly if you are bored with excessive automation as described by the loaded flightplan in the FMC/MCDU. It would also be even more fun if used in conjunction with AI aircraft injected by e.g. UTLive in which case there may be some element of ATC interaction between your aircraft and the AI traffic, and also the RealTraffic program which injects real-time AI aircraft into the sim as determined by real-world activity through the use of ADS-B transmissions, by way of the PSXseeconTraffic program. Unfortunately the ATC programs do not see the real-world AI aircraft from ADS-B injected into the sim, and hence there is no ATC interaction with such aircraft if using RealTraffic/PSXseeconTraffic

Another ATC program which may deliver similar results is Pro-ATC/X (payware). This may be a better choice for the use of STAR arrivals and RNAV approaches.

Anyway, I have had fun playing around with Radar Contact with some success and will report again if I succeed similarly with other ATC programs and explain how I achieved these results.
Last edited by LecLightning56 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LecLightning56

Re: Anyone used ATC with FSiPanel 2017?

Post by LecLightning56 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:08 am

I have just tried a STAR arrival to Atlanta KATL with the Pro-ATC/X program. The procedure you follow is much like for Radar Contact except that the flightplan is handled differently, with Pro-ATC/X advising the use of a STAR arrival for e.g. an ILS approach outside of the filed flightplan itself (which does not contain any SIDs or STARs). Again, Pro-ATC/X is fooled into thinking that for the default aircraft at the default airport, the aircraft has physically departed (once takeoff clearance has been given). When the chosen aircraft for the approach is loaded into the sim, Pro-ATC/X resumes and the expected STAR can be loaded into the FMC/MCDU and followed with ATC clearance. Of note, I tried the HOBTT STAR arrival for an ILS approach to RW27R at KATL and, even with the FMC of the PMDG 747 v3, there is a discontinuity between waypoint YURII and MERCR which advises vectors to negotiate and Pro-ATC/X provides these vectors accordingly. You could of course just simply have entered an additional waypoint manually into the FMC provided you have access to the charts, but somehow the realism of being controlled seems more natural.

So, yes, with a bit of patience and planning, it is possible to use FSiPanel for e.g. a STAR arrival with the two ATC programs I have commented on (Radar Contact and Pro-ATC/X). For simply practicing shorter approaches I agree that ATC is completely superfluous but it somehow seems more natural and immersive when you are not simply robotically following a programmed route if ATC controls some aspect of the longer approach procedures.